40 Thousand People Evacuated from Mount Agung's Danger Zone: BNPB

Dhaifurrakhman Abas    •    27 November 2017 15:59 WIB
disaster (en)
40 Thousand People Evacuated from Mount Agung's Danger Zone: BNPB
Mount Agung volcano is located on Karangasem regency on northeastern Bali. (Photo: MTVN/Raiza Andini)

Jakarta: Authorities have evacuated as many as 40 thousand people from the danger zone around Mount Agung volcano on the northeastern Bali.

"There are 22 villlages. There are around 90-100 thousand residents," the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said in East Jakarta on Monday afternoon.

"We will prepare some measures. We have evacuated around 40 thousand residents," he added.

Mount Agung started to spew gray volcanic smoke last week. It continued to show increasing volcanic activity throughout the week.

The alert status was upgraded to the highest level (Level 4) this morning. It was downgraded to the lower level (Level 3) last month.

"The alert status was raised at 06:00 Central Indonesia Time. It was raised to Level IV or Siaga," the Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation Agency (PVMBG) head Kasbani told Metro TV this morning.

The Ngurah Rai Airport has been closed since Monday morning. The international airport will be closed until tomorrow morning. 



(WAH)